Friday, February 12, 2010

Working Mom's VS SAHM

This is probably going to make you mad, but I have a little rant to get off my chest. It is about SAHM vs Working Moms- as per title. Yes, it's a touchy subject. So if you don't agree then don't read it. That and I may be a little unreasonable as I have raging pregnant hormones inside me.

I've been a mom for a while now. I have never had the privelege of being a SAHM (Stay At Home Mother) except for the 5 months I was out of work. With that 5 months I feel I can rightfully pass judgement while my hormones are going wild and I'm feeling irritated.

SOO- What I can't comprehend is how SAHM's think their jobs are so much harder than those that work 40 hours (or more as currently I'm on mandated OT). I've heard though the years how it's so much more exhausting, they have so much more work to do, etc, blah, blah.

Okay I work all day and when I come home I have to do the laundry, dishes, cooking (well Kirby cooks a lot because I'm not very good at it), dusting, vacuuming, and check homework. I take care of owie's, fighting, find missing items children didn't put away. I also have to find time to do my errands, pay bills, clip coupons, feed the pets, go to the bank, ugh- grocery shopping. We get showers done, play taxi for friends, and still manage to find quality time with them, such as games. Oh people that know me, yes my children do chores, but I still have to direct them correctly, help them, teach them how to do stuff.

So yeah that last paragraph was really boring with me rambling blah, blah, blah. The point I'm making is I feel I do just as much as a SAHM, in fact possibly more because on top of my work schedule I have to find time for all that normal, daily stuff (refer to previous boring paragraph). Just because I work doesn't mean the house doesn't get messy. Everything that needs done isn't going to magically work itself out. Plus I have to fine my "me" time, too!

So if you are a SAHM please help me understand why staying home is so much harder than working?

With all that said I would love to drop to part time work or have the opportunity to be SAHM. But I know I can't. So maybe I'm a little jealous. BUT like this past summer I think I would get bored after a while probably.

Okay I'm going to go do something fun and calm myself down. You have a good day.

1 comment:

Triana said...

One of my biggest pet peeves in life happens to be anyone who thinks their life is so much harder or more difficult than someone else's. Like they have more daily obstacles to navigate through! I agree with everything you've said. How is it that working 40+ hours while still performing the same daily duties of the SAHM becomes underrated so vehemently by the SAHM groups and supporters? I feel that we all put forth an equally daunting measure of a workload into our families, whether staying at home daily or working full time (I do realize there are some lazy people out there that create bad examples on both sides of the fence though). Good luck with your pregnancy hormones!