Sunday, January 23, 2011

Garry update

I'm afraid as I write this Garry isn't doing too well. I was encouraged slightly Friday because he decided to eat what I offered him and was up and around a little more... Friday night he vomited a lot... So Saturday I took him to the vet.

They did some blood work and found a few things that worried them. They also found a lump they think is a tumor. I could do a test, but at his age he said it isn't likely to be anything else. Also not much I can do. I could get a test to see if it's operable, but that doesn't mean it hasn't spread. I have had surgeries. I know how it is. I don't want to put him through that stress, especially if there is a chance it won't but buy another month.

He was dehydrated so they gave him an IV and also some anti-nausea medication and his temp was low so I had him under my electric blankie for a while... He was like a rag doll- so lethargic. We made a pallat on him in front of one of the heaters (one of his favorite spots). He barely ate anything I offered him and hardly drank. I even microwaved the cat food (and it really makes a stink- like cat breath in my kitchen). He hasn't eaten anything today. I don't know that he has made an effort to drink anything.

I am going to take him to the vet again tomorrow. I'm afraid I may have to make a decision I don't want to. Do I continue to take him every other day and give him fluids and medication via IV to "keep him comfortable" or do the other thing? I'm not ready to let him go. I looked at Millie and she is a good cat, but not a lap cat. I wouldn't want her to be Garry... I don't know if I can make that decision. I hate to see him this way, but he's been a part of my life for 13 1/2 years! He is older than my oldest child! I can't see my life with out him. I know he's "just a cat" but to me his also a family member. Anyone that knows me knows Garry!

I know I can't bargain, but that doesn't mean the thoughts haven't crossed my mind... I wouldn't mind if Garry puked in the middle of the living room floor. Or dug his claws into my leg trying to get his balance. He can gobble his snacks too fast (if only he would eat one!). I would love for him to crawl under the blankets and bite me if I move and make it uncomfortable for him. I haven't gotten a "belly massage" since before I was pregnant. He can run his motor purr and bite my hair. Ugh, I hate crying before bed.

Who is going to snuggle me when I have my migraines? Who is going to help me sweep and mop my kitchen floor (by help I mean get in the way)? And sneak in the pantry when we're getting the cat food? Who is going to lock themselves in the closet cuz they fell asleep on the towels? Will I have to make sure the kids cups of water are dumped or else I find them all knocked over in the morning? Who is going to get caught with the baby's cereal on his nose because he was in the dirty dishes getting a snack? Or annoy me with their obsessive licking?

I have cried with him so many times. I have laughed with him and I have gotten so MAD at him. I want to continue to do those things with him. Pet him, push him off my lap 50 times only to look down and realize he found a way in it anyway. Get him to do his "tricks" and kiss him. Scratch him under his chin... Okay I'd better stop.

No comments: