Saturday, July 4, 2009

7%

First off Happy 4th of July!!

I got this email and thought I'd post it, and add my opinions, too. Some was pretty good advice and some hit home for me... But this peanut gallery always has something to say so here we go!

Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio I checked it via snopes http://www.snopes.com/glurge/lifelessons.asp and this lady is legit. "To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me.
It is the most-requested column I've ever written."
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good. I'll give her that, although sometimes it sucks royally! So if you don't find reasons to laugh at yourself you may get sucked into the unfairness of it.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step. Sometimes baby steps are the biggest ones you can take.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. True, but although there are a couple of people I dislike enormously sometimes it's easier just to admit I hate them and move on.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch. And it's your friends and family that visit you in the hospital, not your job- unless you have an AWESOME boss... like my grandpa's when he was sick in the hospital.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month. Or just know how evil they are and don't ever get one!!

6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. Easier said than done, especially when you have to have the last word, or when you're 6 and have to be right. This is a concept I've tried to teach my children... Unsuccessfully.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone. Make sure they are a friend not sleeping with your lover.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it. No comments from the peanut gallery here.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck. I really wish I had known about this one 15 years ago!

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile. Unless it's a migraine trigger.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present. Don't dwell in the past either, learn from your mistakes, and move on, live in the present.

12. It's OK to let your children see you cry. ...and that they have.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Everyone has a story, and there are 2 sides to that story.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it. comment to #7

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. God may not blink, but He is a silent witness and sometimes you have to go through hard times by yourself. It's okay because I think it can make you a stronger person. God and you may disagree, but there was some times I was pretty angry. #8 :-)

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind. That it does! Sometimes I sigh really loud, too.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful. Donate it because someone else may find it useful, beautiful, or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger. Unless it's a migraine in which it leaves you bedridden for days at at time and you come out feeling like a train hit you.

19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else. Is this living vicariously through your children?

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer. You'll always wonder why you didn't try!

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

22. Over prepare, then go with the flow. Don't forget the sunscreen! Especially if you have a red headed child!

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple. I totally don't get this one.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain. And you should check into Romance 101 if you don't know how to use it.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ''In five years, will this matter?". I think yes it does matter, because every decision you make now shapes who you are in the future. What may not be a big deal to you may be a big deal to someone else. Do decide wisely.

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone everything. Easier said than done, but I think it's easier to make them apologise for their transgressions first and if not, then I can mark them out of my life until they come into it again. I know- obviously I'm working on some issues. Hurt is a complicated thing, especially when it keeps coming back.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business. Tru dat, and that is why I need to get rid of the people that hurt me. I don't mean murder I mean #28.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time. Yes I think in time #28 will come to pass and my hurts will heal.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. If you think it's going to change for the worse, it probably will. If you think it's going to get better it probably will. I think a lot of it is your outlook.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does. I never take myself seriously except when I have to be serious.

33. Believe in miracles. I don't think I've ever experienced a miracle.

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young. The irony is I will die Young. LOL lol. Just hopefully at a ripe old age.

37. Your children get only one childhood. And I'm making the most out of it.

38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved. With all I have

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere. Again with the miracle thing. I like the sunshine and trees and grass and nature parts.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back. Maybe...

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. Envy is my way of complementing those I love. I'm not really jealous.

42. The best is yet to come. I think I already have the best, so the better is yet to come.

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up. Unless you have a migraine and you're about to toss your cookies if you move your head...

44. Yield. Slow down and enjoy the scenic route.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.

It's estimated 93% won't forward this. If you are one of the 7% who will, forward this with the title '7%'.
I'm in the 7%. Remember that I will always share my spoon with you!
Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves.

No comments: