Tuesday, March 31, 2009

C'mon Gimmie some ADVICE

I really wish my grandpa were around for me to talk to. I have a HUGE decision to make as far as a career goes and I don't know what path to choose...

Do I stay where I am, doing what I know how to do, with the steady check? Or do I take a risk and discover something different and try something new? Something that may not give me a steady check, but could possibly have a rewarding future if I work really hard?

Don't get me wrong. I like what I do. I like helping people and I love when my customers tell me they don't know how they ever got by before they had me for a rep (I had someone tell me that today). I have built a pretty good customer relationship with some of them. I have a pretty funny time there sometimes.

But I do have my issues and those that know me well know what I'm talking about. I've had problems from time to time with a certain person that for whatever reason we just can't get past our differences. Granted I know that no matter where you go or what you do there are always going to be people you can't get along with. I know that. But I also know that in this company I have no place to move up and no place to go except where I am.

I have a lot of ideas I think can help my current job, but no one to listen to me...

Once, of the big boss people told me my college degree meant nothing there. I worked hard for that degree. It means a lot to me! I was in a factory for years and I wanted out. I wanted better, not just for me, but for my family. I want a job that isn't a job or a pay check. I want something I love that I'm passionate about.

I know I can't stay where I am forever. I know it's not for me, but I have been looking for months for something else. And frankly- in this economly there isn't much!

When I think about what I really want to do- besides helping people I really don't know what I want. I really don't know what my skills are. I guess that kind of scares me.

I want to take a risk, but then again I don't. I don't want to be on the platform when the train leaves wondering where it's going- again because I'm scared to get on it. I want to BE on it.

Then again- this offer isn't something that is a sit down office job that will give me steady hours and a steady check. I won't know from week to week how I'm doing or how much I can bring home... I've never wanted a comission based job, but with comission there are a lot of opportunities. It is what you make it, right? Or is commission something you just work harder for and just never have enough?

Do I take the slow steady worn path that I know will be safe? Or should I try the other one? If it doesn't work out, then what? Have I taken my risk, failed, and screwed myself (and my family) over? Can I live with that?

What is plan B? I wish I could show my grandpa my list of pros and cons and the criteria of each career path and get his opinion. He is so wise and he would give me good advice.

Kirby is a good husband. He tells me to do what I want. But I can't because what if what I want ends up hurting him? I would want him to take a risk if the tables were turned, but I know he's smart enough he would make sure things with me were okay...

I just don't know. Even writing this I'm pretty much all over the place. I have to make my decision by noon tomorrow. I've been thinking about it forever and I just can't decide. I need some good advice, some good opinions.

No comments: